Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What's For Dinner? Quick and Easy Cheese Wedges

I LOVE a good biscuit, but I rarely make them because they are so sticky and messy (sticky and messy equals more cleaning up time!).  I finally found a recipe that is quick, so yummy, and it isn't messy!
The delicious finished product!
Original Recipe with my alterations in italics:
2 Cups Flour (for the above batch, I used 1 1/2 cups wheat flour and 1/2 cup white flour)
1 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder (seriously?  I round it to 2 teaspoons and have noticed no ill effects)
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Cup Chilled Butter
2/3 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I use whatever is in the fridge;  I think it was some sort of 4 Mexican cheese blend for this batch.)
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons dried Parsley
3/4 Cup Buttermilk (I NEVER have Buttermilk, so I put about 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in my liquid measuring cup, fill it up to 3/4 with milk, and let it sit for a few minutes.)
1 Large Egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients (technically the first 6 ingredients, but I always add the parsley here too), then cut butter into flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
Coarse Crumbs, I think....
Stir in cheeses and parsley.
Yum!  I have the bad habit of putting my measuring cup over the bowl and then dumping the shredded cheese in, so I accidentally end up with more like 1 Cup of shredded cheese because I love cheese BECAUSE SOME OF IT SPILLS when I'm dumping measuring.
Add milk and egg all at once.  (I mixed the egg in with the milk before I did this step.)
Knead into a 9-inch circle on floured surface <-------(I don't do this because it is messy and sticky!  I just use my spatula and mix it in the bowl.)
No floured surface necessary!
Cut into 12 wedges.
I scooped the dough right out of the bowl into this pan, smoothed it down with the spatula, and then cut it.
Bake for 20-22 minutes.
So delicious!  Try not to burn your mouth when you are overcome by the enticing aroma and must try it immediately!

3 comments:

Swistle said...

YUM. And I love the "seriously?" aside on the baking powder measurement.

Anonymous said...

That looks really, really good. I've been thinking about it for a day and a half now.

Doing My Best said...

josephinalouise--it IS really good! And even the next day, if you microwave a piece for about 15 seconds, it tastes like it just came out of the oven!