Saturday, October 18, 2014

Ice Cream Report

Months ago A while back, a Lovely Person sent me a gift card to the wonderful, local ice cream place, so I felt it was my DUTY to try a variety of flavors and report! Most of these flavors are from Graeter's, but I discovered other delicious brands and flavors in the time I've been working on this post, so I included those too.

A couple nice things about the chocolate "chips" in Graeter's ice cream:
1. They are varying sizes and often large.
2. The chocolate melts in your mouth instead of sticking to your teeth!

NOTE: I *STRONGLY SUGGEST* that you have a delicious pint of ice cream in your freezer before you read this post.


Because I was too busy enjoying the deliciousness Somehow, I didn't take any pictures of the ice cream that turned out to be my favorite in this report. BROWNIE MOOSE TRACKS!!! Vanilla ice cream with the WONDERFUL fudge ripple throughout and lots of pieces of CHEWY brownies! Moose Tracks ice cream is sold under a variety of store brands, so check your local grocery store for their many yummy flavors. Unfortunately, my local grocery store's brand doesn't make the brownie flavor, although it does have 3 or 4 of the other Moose Tracks flavors, but the store carries a brand called Dean's that has it!

Some of the contenders

Graeter's Toffee Chocolate Chip
*Vanilla ice cream with pieces of toffee and chocolate chips
*Toffee is PERFECT: easy to crunch and doesn't stick to my teeth
*Milk chocolate chips






Graeter's Coconut Chocolate Chip
*This is what I usually choose because they only have my ABSOLUTE favorite, Mint Cookies and Cream, for ONE MONTH OF THE YEAR *sob*
*Sweet, creamy ice cream; not sure if it's vanilla or coconut flavored
*Lots of coconut flakes
*Semi-sweet chocolate "chips"
*I imagine a Mounds Bar turned into ice cream would taste like this



Ben and Jerry's Scotchy Scotch Scotch
*Butterscotch flavored ice cream with a slightly crunchy butterscotch ripple throughout
* SIXTEEN grams of protein in one container! I don't remember other flavors having that much; I guess I'll need to buy them again and check more carefully! (After checking: The other flavors have that much protein too.)
*Ian is quite sad that this is a limited edition flavor



Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Peppermint Crunch
*First bite tastes like a nice, cold peppermint patty
*Chocolate ice cream with a thin mint ribbon (a thicker mint ribbon would be nice); the description says there are fudge swirls, but I didn't notice those very much
*The "Crunch" is mint chocolate cookie balls that taste like Th!n M!nts or Grasshopper cookies!




Graeter's Cookies & Cream
*Nice cream flavor
*Very light on the cookies: 2 good size chunks, a few smaller pieces


Graeter's Butter Pecan
*Nice buttery flavor in the ice cream
*Nice amount of pecans throughout


Graeter's Salted Caramel
*Very nice caramel flavor with just enough of the salt to keep it from being to sweet
*Smooth ice cream; no chunks of anything



Graeter's Buckeye Blitz
*Chocolate and peanut butter flavored ice cream
*Dark chocolate "chips"
*Little pieces of peanut butter cookie dough (bigger pieces of cookie dough would be better!)




Graeter's Strawberry Chocolate Chip
*Varying sizes of melt-in-your-mouth (instead of stick-in-your-teeth) semi-sweet chocolate "chips"
*Natural strawberry flavored ice cream, no food coloring, smallish pieces of strawberry
*Somewhat sweet, but sweetness is balanced by the semi-sweet chocolate

There were some SERIOUS chocolate chunks in this one!


I hit the jackpot!

Piece of strawberry






4 comments:

Nowheymama said...

Ha! I was just about to leave a comment thanking you for doing this for SCIENCE and I saw your tags.

I love Graeter's. When we lived in Lexington, there was a pizza place next to a Graeter's. You could order a pizza AND ice cream and they would be delivered to your house. Evil.

Doing My Best said...

Oh, WOW! I would be in BIG TROUBLE if I could order pizza AND Graeter's to be delivered!

Shelly said...

Oh I miss Graeter's. Though I'm still mad at them. I am not a chocolate fan so many of their hit flavors are lost on me. But they had the BEST coconut ice cream of all time. It used to only be sold August-September and I would wait anxiously every year and buy/eat all I could. Our last year in Ohio, they stopped making plain coconut, just the year-long coconut chip. WOE! Not that I'm still bitter about it.

Much.

april said...

That coconut chocolate chip. I need that in my life.