I will try to clarify:
- The most important rule, when it comes to opening a CDP, is: you do not have to meet various, mysterious, impossible-to-meet criteria of worthiness or deserving, nor do you have to register the level of Crappiness of your day at a certain point on the Global Crappiness scale, before you can open a Crappy Day Present.
- I can honestly tell you that, if you are in possession of a CDP, you ARE worthy AND deserving as evidenced by the fact that somebody cares about you enough to make sure you have that CDP in your possession.
- If YOU are feeling Crappy (wanting to cry and/or wanting to dive into a vat of expensive ice cream/chocolate/alcohol is often a clue), it DOES NOT MATTER if a DIFFERENT person wouldn't feel Crappy under the same circumstances; we are talking about YOU! The entire purpose behind the Crappy Day Present is to make YOU feel loved and supported when you could use some extra love and support.
- Note: I can understand the non-opening of a Crappy Day Present in the interest of not running out, since I
have that worry myself from time to timeam an understanding sort of person, but, unless you are down to 1 or 2, YOU ARE NOT CLOSE TO RUNNING OUT, but, even though life may look a little bleaker when you run out of Crappy Day Insuranceso, CDPs were meant to be opened.
- You do not need to justify your decision to open a CDP, at ANY time, no matter the circumstances. It doesn't matter if you opened one yesterday, or if you opened one 5 minutes ago...if it will cheer you up to open a CDP, OPEN A CDP!
- Unless the names of any of the members of your household are on the present, you are not by any stretch of the imagination expected to share, and, I dare say, obligatory sharing of CDPs is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED.
- It really is this simple: someone loves and/or cares about you and wants to help support you and/or cheer you up when you are having a rough day, so allow yourself to be loved and supported by opening a CDP she has given you, if you think it will help.
As I was working on this post last night, God showed His sense of humor in my life, YET AGAIN, by giving me a new, pertinent, real-life example of an appropriate time to open a Crappy Day Present:
When you are chewing gum (the good-for-your-teeth kind, no less), and you find yourself wondering why your gum is a bit crunchier than usual, and you then realize that either your tooth has broken or one of your fillings has just come out,Crappy-Day-Present-Receiving Etiquette
and the next day is Friday, and you know that your dentist doesn't go to the office one day per week, and you can't remember if Friday is that day, and you wonder if the dentist will be able to work on your tooth anyway since your cold has turned into a sinus infection, AND you realize that your babysitter is going to be busy tomorrow morning even if you DO manage to procure an appointment, and you are terrified a little concerned about the amounts of pain discomfort and money that are going to be involved in fixing your tooth,this is a PRIME example of an appropriate time to open a CDP.