Saturday, May 18, 2013

What I Have Learned On This House-Hunting Trip

1. It is most unpleasant to fly across the country to try to find an appropriate house for your family, even after doing hours and hours and hours of work on this project before you fly out.
2. The journey of a thousand miles is likely to end very, very badly.
3. There is definite potential for a house-hunting themed Demotivator.
4. NEVER, EVER, EVER GET MY HOPES UP. I cannot think of ONE TIME that has ended well, and isn't the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again while hoping for a different result?
5. No matter how tempting, DO NOT excitedly tell the children all about the house you finally decided on, after much agonizing, until you have closed on the house, lest something should happen, and you have to listen to their bitter complaints about the house that got away. (THANKFULLY, this occurred to me in time and, therefore, I did not have to learn it from hard experience!)
6. In the future, I need to ask the realtor to do a more thorough check on any house I want to see so that I do not get my hopes up unnecessarily, only to find out that there was an easy-to-find reason that I could not have that house.
7. Looking at 12+ houses per day, knowing that you have a set amount of time to find a house that will meet the various needs of your large family is not any sort of vacation.
8. House-hunting is A LOT like dating which sucks even more if you didn't particularly enjoy dating.
9. Be sure not to wear mascara and remember to take a box of tissues with you forget your house-hunting notebook, person who knows how to look for things like water damage and cracks in the foundation, a flashlight, a measuring tape, something to drink, and some snacks.
10. The house-hunting notebook was very helpful for keeping track of the details of various houses since they all blur together when you see so many in such a short period of time. Part of the reason it was so helpful was because I took notes on every house we visited and made sure to write things down in the "Pros" and "Cons" categories.
11. It is quite disturbing to walk into a house and be assaulted with the unmistakable smell of drugs, cigarettes, old person, or animal pee.
12. It can be uncomfortable to walk through a house when you know that somebody else already lives there.
13. If something looks to good to be true, it probably is.
14. Just like looking at my first baby's face in the hospital did not help me figure out what to name him, only one house called my name....and that one didn't work out. So.
15. If you only have 5-6 days, make sure you see as many houses as you can in the first days, so that when things go wrong, you'll still have some time.
16. It's a good idea to have a 2nd tier list, just in case none of the 25+ houses on your 1st tier list work out.
17. Have MINIMAL preferences/requirements so that you aren't disappointed with whatever you end up with. OR
18. Have All The Money so that you can buy what you need.
19. People can be jerks.
20. There is not enough ice cream or chocolate IN THE WORLD to make some things better.
21. I must be allergic to house-hunting because it has made my eyes and nose leak MULTIPLE TIMES. Maybe someone else should be in charge when this must be done again in 3 years (*SOB*).

18 comments:

Mrs. Irritation said...

You poor, poor lamb. I am going to have to print this out and carry it with me in the next few weeks.

Celeste said...

Yes, I definitely think you have earned the right not to have to be the one who does this next time. It never, ever occurred to me that a realtor would not first check to see if there were offers pending before wasting anyone's time on a visit. It makes me wonder how they ever make money. I hope you see something this weekend. I am so VERY sorry for your hardships. (((hugs))))

twisterfish said...

Oh I am so sad for you.... and angry at your realtor. She should have known what not to show based on your requirements and time, and should have adjusted the search if houses had contracts.
I will do this for you next time. I promise!

d e v a n said...

Ugh. I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you hoped!

Doing My Best said...

The knob house didn't have a contract; two people had already made offers, one of them 6 weeks ago, and the bank still hadn't responded. It would have been nice to know that before I fell in love with it =(.

Erin said...

YES. To all of these. And, sorry. So sorry :(

I will also add, not to get attached, even after making an offer, and having it be accepted. Hold your breath until closing.

(Learned this the hard way last year, when we GOT the house of our dreams, and our IDIOT, soon to be fired realtor missed a paperwork deadline, causing the seller to cancel our contract and give it to the second-best offer.)

If you ever need to pinpoint the moment in time when my mental health started to decline, the day our realtor TEXTED me that awful news is the one.

But! That is not going to happen to you! Nope! Nothing but good house hunting in your future. I am WILLING it to happen.

Emily said...

*hugs* I'm sorry this is sucking so hard. When I win the lottery tonight, I'll send you All The Money so you can buy whatever you want.

Misty said...

I am so so sorry sweetheart. It sucks. It's hard. Be strong, boo.

Kenner said...

Oh gosh, *big hugs*. I'm so sorry it didn't go well!

shin ae said...

Uuuugh. Looking for a house is so very difficult. I hope your hunt ends soon.

el-e-e said...

Oh, I am SO sorry you're having a hard time. It's hard enough uprooting your life - added messiness isn't fair. :(

Joanne said...

I'm so sorry it got so rough. I hope things improve right away!

Lisa (@PixelatedMama) said...

Ugh, this stinks. House buying is so stressful, and doing it in another city on a timeline is even worse. I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and sending all good house vibes your way!

Michelle said...

I fell in love with SO many houses online and for one reason or another, it didn't work. I was OK (not in love) with the house we ended up in and now 6 weeks later, I really, really love it.

I can't imagine trying to find a place across the country and in your time frame. Hugs.

strangeHeather said...

So awful. And just so awful. Did I say that already? How awful.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Please accept my deepest sympathies. I am thinking of you and hoping that you make it through this swiftly and with a maximum of nerves left intact.

(Moving is my mental health kryptonite.)

Gigi said...

I know how awful house hunting is but I can't imagine having to do it with a deadline in mind.

Would it be possible to rent when you move - just until you can find somewhere to land?

That's usually how we've handled it in the past - yes, it means we had to move twice but it relieved the pressure of finding something NOW.

Doing My Best said...

Gigi-The idea of looking for a place to rent and moving twice seems as stressful to me as trying to find a house to buy in a week. But we may have to do that someday if I'm unable to find a house in time!