Monday, March 11, 2013

A Dream House

Usually, I try really hard not to get my hopes up because I'd rather not be disappointed, or, as this demotivator says: "WISHES: When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor."
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true.  Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life.  Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for.  Unless it's death by meteor.
Found here: http://www.despair.com/wishes.html

Or this one: "MISFORTUNE: While good fortune often eludes you, this kind never misses."
While good fortune often eludes you, this kind never misses.
found here: http://www.despair.com/misfortune.html

Or this one: "CHANGE: When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles."

When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.
Found here: http://www.despair.com/change-winds.html

Or this one: "BITTERNESS: Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world, because there's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams."
Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world, because there's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams.
Found here: http://www.despair.com/bitterness.html

And, of course, I can't forget that the journey of a thousand miles ended very, very badly last time:

The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly.
Found here: http://www.despair.com/ambition.html

Ahem.

But despite all of that, I can't help dreaming about what it would be like to live in the perfect house.

At this point in my life, my perfect house would:

· be out in the country! An acre or two for the children to burn some energy doing yard work run and play! A large, grassy, fenced-in backyard for the dog to run around in, with a couple shade trees! The ability to throw a ball without hitting a neighbor! Not worrying that the neighbors are going to think my kids are peeping T0ms when they are trying to use their binoculars! Also, an apple tree or two would be very helpful since EVERY CHILD will eat apples! And a basketball hoop and swing set! Of course, the country would need to have high speed internet access and be on the route for UPS.

· be BIG! Perhaps even over 3,000 square feet!

· have energy efficient windows with that safety feature that allows you to have the window open a couple inches without being opened any further, so we could leave the windows open on nice nights!

· have an energy-efficient heating and cooling system and ceiling fans to help with the hot weather!

· have a basement large enough to store things and allow the children to ride scooters or whatever when the weather is bad and contain all of the toys all the time! There would also be a half bathroom down there so the children would not have to run upstairs to use the p0tty!

· have a small room on the main floor, just inside the front door, big enough for a bookcase, couch, and the piano.

· have a large, open kitchen and family room. (I think each of these rooms need their own dot.)

· have a kitchen with a large/industrial convection oven, refrigerator, and dishwasher! And lots of smooth counter space with NO GROUT! And lots of cabinet space! And a window or two for sunshine! And a large, easy to access pantry! And a space big enough to fit the table!

· have a family room large enough to hold both of our 8-foot long bookcases! And have additional BUILT IN bookcases! And have cabinets or shelves for me to use for all of our many school supplies!

· have a half bathroom on the main floor!

· have a laundry room with a sink and cabinets!

· have a mudroom large enough to organize the many coats, boots, mittens, hats, backpacks, etc.!

· have a small soundproofed lockable room with internet access on the main floor that I could use to store my yarn CDP supplies, yarn scrapbooking stuff, yarn sewing cabinet, and yarn.
*have a guest room!

· have *6* bedrooms upstairs! A bedroom for each of the children, just big enough for a bed, dresser, and 2 square by 4 square IKEA organizer thing! And a closet, WITH SHELVES, large enough to hold the boxes of clothes for the children to grow into!

· have two full bathrooms upstairs!

· be no more than 30 minutes away from WPAFB, Area B!

It’s a delicious dream, don’t you think? It's too bad that dreams don't actually come true! Have I forgotten anything since I am so unused to dreaming? What is YOUR most delicious dream at the moment?
*******
There have been some great suggestions in the comments =)!
While I was shivering in the shower this morning, I remember a couple more things I want in my dream house!
  • Heat lamps in the bathrooms that have tubs or showers. My MIL has one in one of her bathrooms and it is HEAVENLY to get out of the shower and be under a warm light!
  • One bathroom, for the boys to use, that is covered floor to ceiling in some sort of solid, washable material. Not tile, because GROUT, but something like that. And a drain in the middle of the room, so that the toilet, which would be conveniently located next to a shower with one of those removable shower head sprayer things, could be hosed down. REGULARLY. 

19 comments:

Kenner said...

Everytime I'd try to get ahead of you and think of what I'd have to tell you to add to your list, you beat me to it! I think you listed my dream house, too! (How about an intercom, though? That could be obnoxious OR super helpful! OOOH, A LAUNDRY SHOOT! And maybe a little elevator to get it back upstairs after it's cleaned up? And the house we rent has an apple tree that makes the tiniest, weirdest looking apples. Yuck. BUT, it also has a glorious peach tree that bears DELICIOUS fruit, so, I'd vote for changing your type of fruit tree. Other than that, I'm totally on board!) :)

Still Playing School said...

When we move in a few years, I NEED a large whirlpool tub.

april said...

My current dream is a small one. I need a vacation. :)

Jessica said...

The one thing I always say as far as house dreams go is laundry on the main floor. I am SO tired of lugging it to the basement all the time. When we bought the house, I was lugging it to the laundromat and thought 'the basement? No problem!' Two kids later and it's still not a PROBLEM, per se, but it's not ideal.

Doing My Best said...

Kenner-A LAUNDRY SHOOT!! I know that I have wanted one of those in the past, and I'm tempted to still want one now...but then I wonder how long it would be before one of the boys got stuck in it, trying to take a ride.

Still Playing School-That sounds perfectly reasonable; I hope your dream will come true =)!

April-YOU CAN DO THIS! Get your husband on board, find a decent hotel somewhere nearby (but maybe don't tell your husband how near you'll be) and relax for a couple days!

Jessica-I almost wanted to wish that the laundry room was upstairs, actually near to where the laundry is put away (imagine that!), but I wasn't sure if there was some important reason we don't usually hear of laundry rooms being upstairs.

Kenner said...

Oh yes, how did I forget the huge soaking tub??? That's one of my must haves! (Which I don't have right now. It makes me sad, but the house was otherwise the best option for us!) And the laundry room is upstairs at my parents house! (I think it's just less usual for all the plumbing and hookups to be run upstairs, but otherwise there's no reason it can't happen!)

Celeste said...

One of my sisters once had a laundry room upstairs. Pro: you don't have to move laundry on stairs. Cons: You need to install a special basin underneath the washer to handle overflow should there be some issue, to prevent water damage. You most definitely need the metal hoses that won't come apart or slip off. Finally, you may not want to do laundry at night because the sounds of the machine may keep some awake. And, you still climb the stairs because that's how loads get flipped.

The chutes are pretty snug and you could always have a lock on it until there are no more very young children to worry about. But I think they really have to be built with the house. I haven't heard of them being put in after-market.

You definitely have a tall order here.

Doing My Best said...

Celeste-Good point! It probably WOULD be more convenient to have the laundry room on the main floor since I tend to do laundry throughout the day.

Well, I figured that if I was going to dream the impossible dream, I might as well go all out!

Slim said...

I see no mention of a porch, screened or otherwise. When the lovely neighbors bring cookies, where will you eat them as you compare nonjudgmental notes on your children?

strangeHeather said...

My grandma had a laundry chute where the hamper went in the bathroom. I always thought it was the coolest thing.

Also, you really need a sprinkler system in the front yard, so you don't have to worry about setting up sprinklers.

And you need a big playscape/treehouse in the backyard to help with the outside playing.

And what about secret doors that connect rooms? Those are a MUST if your kids like to play hide-and-seek. I really want the "Clue" kind, where you go to the corner room and can sneak over to the opposite corner room. That would make getting from the master to the nursery SO much easier. :)

strangeHeather said...

Oh, and my real takeaway from your post? They have come out with a lot more awesome demotivators, and I need to get some of those. I have a demotivating wall in the half-bath, and it's not nearly demotivating enough yet.

Doing My Best said...

Slim-You're right! How did I forget the porch?! I would like a wrap around, shaded porch, but I am undecided about whether I would like it screened in or not.

strangeHeather-Yes! Sprinklers, treehouse, and SECRET DOORS AND PASSAGEWAYS!

I love the demotivators =)! I think the most economical way to get them is to make a calendar...when I did it, I think I was able to pick out 16. Even so, it was hard to choose!

Emily said...

Your house sounds fantastic! But I think you forgot a maid and cook. :-)

Doing My Best said...

Emily-YOU'RE RIGHT! It's a good thing I have the internets to help me with things like this =)!

Sarah said...

We had a chute from the main floor to the basement laundry room growing up, and it was AWESOME. Cannot overemphasize the awesome. I miss it so much, and I haven't lived in that house for ten years. Still miss it daily.
However, I am the luckiest girl ever because I finally have two things I've been dreaming of for years and years: a master bath, WITH a big jacuzzi tub (!!!) and a dining room. I know most people love big eat in kitchens, now, but I am old fashioned person I guess because I still prefer dining rooms. Mainly so I don't have to look at the mess that cooking created in the kitchen!

Doing My Best said...

Sarah--I'm SO TORN! I can see how the laundry chute would be very helpful, but I JUST KNOW one of my kids *cough*boys*cough* would do SOMETHING to it that would make me regret having it!

Joanne said...

My old house with its old windows has a great security thing - they are clamps that go on the outside of the window that block the window from being opened more than a few inches. We only have them on our downstairs windows and it's been great. Not that I remember, since it's been winter for about ninety two months around here. I bet you could add those thing on to any window pretty easily.

Val said...

Two of my (female) cousins stuffed another (male) cousin down their mother's laundry chute... Good thing he was tall & thin & relatively easy to extract!

But I like what one of my riding buddies wrote: "I need a house that FLUSHES!"

Sara Owens said...

Yes, that's one delicious dream! I am never a pessimist so I won't dwell on demotivations. It’s not a bad idea to dream that one day, the beautiful picture of house you've painted through words will turn into reality. =)

Sara Owens