Monday, March 19, 2012

What I Wrote For the Assignment

For some reason, I kept having a complete mental block about my assignment until I changed my thinking a tiny bit.

I had been thinking, "What does Ian do TO strengthen our relationship", but the problem with that was that "TO" indicated, to me, doing something "for the purpose of", and I don't think he does anything "for the purpose of" strengthening our relationship.

But then I switched to thinking "What does Ian do THAT strengthens our relationship". To me, "THAT" indicates less "on purpose" and more "just happens", so I was able to honestly write things that he's done at least once in his life:
Ian strengthens our mother-son relationship when he speaks to me in a courteous, respectful way, fulfills his responsibilities without being asked, and sees something that needs to be done and does it without being asked.
Phew! Mission accomplished and my integrity was not compromised!

(Also, Husband is home and shouldn't have any weeks-long trips coming up!!)

7 comments:

Mrs. Commoner said...

I think what you wrote was great. I would've had a very hard coming up with something or my oldest based on all the yelling that's being directed at him these days.

Also, yay for husband being home!

Mouse said...

Very well done. That slight distinction in the language made a huge difference in the outcome. Color me impresssed.

Emily said...

I like your take on it, and I like your answer. Also, yay for the hubby being home!

liz said...

Nicely done!!

d e v a n said...

That was nice!

Josefina said...

Awesome on all fronts!

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Good for YOU.