Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wahoo! Vacation!

Do you know what is so wonderful about going somewhere on vacation to help your mother after surgery WITHOUT bringing any children with you?  You  know, besides the obviously wonderful things like:  being able to HEAR YOURSELF THINK, and showering without wondering what is happening in the rest of the house, and only fixing food when YOU are hungry and not hearing any complaints about what you've fixed, and starting and finishing something in THE SAME SITTING, and not having someone talk to you or tell you a joke or ask you a question every second you are conscious, and not desperately needing wishing for a nap by 9AM noon every day for some strange reason (the difference in altitude, maybe?)....so far, one of the most wonderful things has been that I don't feel obligated to spend this precious time cleaning!!  When I am at home, on the rare occasion my husband takes all of the children out of the house, my odds of winning the battle against chaos go WAY UP:  instead of there being a 1:5 ratio of order versus chaos, there is a 1:0 ratio, and I feel like I ought to use that to my advantage for the brief moment in time that the odds are so favorable.  The place I am staying currently does not house children, so it was clean when I got here, and we are not messing it up (or, SINCE WE ARE WOMEN we are automatically cleaning up after ourselves as we go)!  Oh, the GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS, NON-GUILT-RIDDEN free time!!!! 

It is wonderful to have the chance to miss each of my children while knowing that I will see them in a few, brief days....and, at the same time, I think it might be wise to borrow somebody's small child on the flight home to ease myself back into reality before reality hits me LOUDLY and FULL FORCE and from 5 different directions at the baggage claim.

4 comments:

Swistle said...

OH, have a WONDERFUL time, and I hope your mother's procedure goes well and her recovery goes even better!

Doing My Best said...

Swistle--Thank you! Her surgery went well, and her recovery is going better than I had expected. I am almost finished with some little projects I brought along, so next I get to READ!

josefinalouise said...

I'm really glad this has been a nice break for you!

I've heard about clean houses before...

Doing My Best said...

josefinalouise: I KNOW! I had heard about them too, but it is so RARE to actually EXPERIENCE one!