Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Nothing to worry about now, right? Pregnancy #3

When the boys were about 4 1/2 years old and 20 months old, I started getting the feeling that another little person wanted to join our family.  I was a little nervous, still remembering how sick I had been the first time, but since I hadn't been so sick the second time, I figured I must have just been one of those people who got really sick with the first pregnancy, and SURELY God would have mercy on me since I was doing my best to take care of Ian two little boys, right?!

The first time I took a pregnancy test, I waited the recommended time but there was only one line, so I threw it away.  I came back a few minutes later, and looked at it again because I'm crazy just to be sure, and it had TWO lines! 

Two weeks after I found out I was pregnant, the deathly nausea started again =(.  I didn't think it could be POSSIBLE, but it was EVEN WORSE than it had been the first time!  Again I could barely eat or drink.  For 4 weeks I had to lie down because if I sat up or tried to walk I would throw up.  This made it VERY DIFFICULT to take care of the boys!  They ended up watching A LOT of "Blue's Clues", "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood", and "Reading Rainbow".  It was HIDEOUS having to not only stand up to fix lunch for the boys, but to also have to smell the food =(.  For the second 4 weeks I was able to sit up without throwing up, and the 4 weeks after that I could stand, as long as I didn't move around too much or too quickly.  The keeping still did not make the intense nausea any better, it just kept me from actually throwing up. 

Again, my doctor wouldn't do anything to help me.  "Pregnant women get nauseous."  I had heard about anti-nausea medication at some point, so I asked her about that, and she finally consented to let me try Zofran.  For the first 3 days I took it, it was HEAVEN!  I COULD NOT BELIEVE that nobody had told me about this miracle medicine before then and that my doctor didn't immediately offer it up!  I would have KISSED THE FEET of whoever invented that medicine!  I could eat!  And drink water!  And move around without throwing up!  But it only lasted for 3 days =(.

I was so miserable I finally had Husband to drive me to the Emergency Room because I JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE and there had to be SOMETHING they could do to help me!  I hadn't eaten or been able to drink in so long, and death was looking like a GREAT option for escaping the suffering.  The lady who checked me in asked me why I was there and I told her that I was pregnant, had been throwing up for days, and hadn't been able to keep down any food or water.  She looked at me suspiciously and said, "I was pregnant 6 times and never got sick."  Then the nurse who took my vital signs asked why I was there, and I told him that I was afraid I was dehydrated;  he sort of snorted at me and said, "You don't look dehydrated."  They gave me an IV, and were genuinely surprised when I had had FOUR BAGS of fluid and still didn't need to pee.  After I had had 2 bags of fluid and some Phenergan in my IV, I could actually think about food again without feeling sick!  I was there for 6 HOURS, they wouldn't bring me anything to eat, and then they were surprised when there was protein in my urine, and that the number kept going up every time they took a sample.  HELLO?!  They gave me another dose of Phenergan before I went home, but, after that dose, my legs twitched constantly for hours, so I was not allowed to take Phenergan anymore.  After my stellar experience I didn't go back to the emergency room:  Husband couldn't miss much work, and I didn't have anyone to take care of the boys.  Again I wondered how a body could feel SO AWFUL and not just die from the misery.

During this time....sigh.  We had been a little concerned about the blinds in our new house, and we had tried putting some safety things on the strings, but apparently one of them didn't work.  Ian had been told to NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER TOUCH THE STRING ON THE BLINDS!!!!  We didn't give him any specifics because we didn't want to give him ideas, so we figured "Never touch the string" should cover everything.  One day I heard a cry and a thump.  Ian came downstairs looking like this:  (Warning:  Graphic Picture Below)















Miracles still happen:  he is still alive.
He had climbed on his dresser, wrapped the string from the blinds around his neck and JUMPED OFF THE DRESSER.  ?????????  Around this time, he switched from FIREFIGHTERS to DINOSAURS!  Also, I found a therapist for him and started taking him to play therapy.
****************************************

David:

Unlike Ian, when David was 18 months old and it was time for him to go to the church nursery, he was having NONE OF THAT!  We stayed with him for MONTHS before he would stay by himself.  He was never one for much talking;  he had decided that a shriek that could break glass a good shriek would do for most occasions.  By the time he was 2 years old, he would say:  mama, dada, "I DO!" (as in, "Who wants a cookie?" "I do!"), and hi.  BUT he would sign:  please, thank-you, more, milk, juice, cheese, water, and movie. 

"I DO!"
This pregnancy, I just figured we were having a boy.  We had all of the boy stuff, we knew we weren't done having kids yet and nobody would harass us next time if we had all boys because they would just think we were trying for a girl, I had been a mother of boys for over 4 years, it would be great to have another boy!  I didn't feel like crocheting girl things, and I wasn't sure where the girl name list had ended up.  You know where this is going, right?  Shortly after David's 2nd birthday, we found out we were having a GIRL!  Ian was especially excited because he had been saying that he wanted a sister, and he thought we should name her "Ms. Frizzle".

7 comments:

lifeofadoctorswife said...

The nausea sounds MISERABLE. And your story makes me so MAD at the doctors and nurses for being such jerks about the whole thing!

By the way, Ms. Frizzle is a lovely name.

d e v a n said...

Ugh, the nausea story. It makes me feel so bad for you and SO ANGRY at the stupid doctors and nurses who wouldn't listen.

josefinalouise said...

Another angry person, here. What's WITH that?! Also: oh my goodness, the blinds thing--how terrifying!

Doing My Best said...

Thank you, ladies! I am hoping that someone will read my story who is having the same experience and will know that something can be done (since the medical "professionals" are so tight lipped with the information)! The problem is: it is really hard to think clearly, let alone fight for yourself, when you are that sick =(.

josefinalouise: Yes, the blinds thing was terrifying! I took the picture because I just COULD NOT BELIEVE he had done that!

Marie Green said...

Ah! The blinds story makes me so glad he's ok!!

Also, fwiw, I think there is more awareness/sympathy for severe "morning sickness" these days than there was a few years ago. But I'm sure there are plenty of "old school" OB/GYN's that still think the way yours did, which is SO FRUSTRATING!! I was really very sick this time around (and not with my other 2 pregnancies), and my current dr was kind and supportive about it, offering Zofran right away and suggesting other methods as well (Unisom plus vitamin B6 is one other "cure")...

Doing My Best said...

Marie Green: I hope so! I had different doctors EVERY TIME and I got the same response; hopefully there's more awareness now! The problem is: it is very hard to advocate for yourself when you are that sick, so, if your doctor isn't looking out for you, you could be in trouble!
My 2nd doctor told me about the Vitamin B and Unisom, and I did it; I wondered if that was the reason I didn't get so sick that time, but I tried it with 3, 4, and 5 and it didn't do anything =(.

Laura Diniwilk said...

GAH I was all set to comment about the jerks in the ER, but THE BLINDS THING OMG. My husband unscrewed the thingie on our blinds that makes them longer, and I yelled at him because it's a real pain in the ass. When he explained that he did it so Adriana wouldn't hang herself, I made fun of him and said that no kids ACTUALLY did that. I'm sure he would gloat if I showed him the picture if it wasn't so terrifying. So glad he was okay!