Monday, May 30, 2011

Keep putting one foot in front of the other...

I found a preschool program for Ian that I really liked (6 special ed. kids, 6 regular ed. kids, 1 teacher, and 2 aides), and he started shortly after he turned 4.  I didn't tell his teacher much about him because I wanted to see if I was thinking that things were worse than they really were, or if he behaved differently when he wasn't around me.  It only took about 2 weeks before his teacher approached me with that worried "I'm going to have to tell you something about your child, and I hope it doesn't come as a shock to you" look on her face, and told me that Ian was angry and defiant and was having trouble taking turns, sharing, and following directions...I told her that I knew, told her what we'd been doing about it at home, and thanked her for talking to me about it. 

FINALLY, about 9 months after we had moved, Ian seemed to adjust, and his behavior finally toned down.  That was SUCH a hard 9 months;  it didn't help that Husband's job sent him away for weeks at a time twice during this period.  Ian was SO ANGRY.  It was SO HARD on me that one of the 2 people I spent most of my day with spent the day telling me that I SUCKED ROYALLY at my job yelling at me, arguing with me, and defying me at every turn!  I knew motherhood was supposed to be hard....but THIS hard?
******************************


David turned out to be a climber...

...and another smart boy!
Handy...

Dandy....

Notebook!  (and beloved milk cup)
***********************************

Memorable Ian moments:
*I said something that irritated Ian, so he leaned over and rubbed his nose on my hand.  I asked him what he had just done, and he answered, with a straight face, "I wiped my nose on you because you looked like a Kleenex."
*Ian came downstairs and said, "Don't open my door, Mom;  I don't want you to look in my room."  I asked him why and he said, "I'm not going to tell you what I did in my room."  We made our way upstairs, with him still telling me NOT to look in his room.  I finally told him that I was going to look in his room, and, in a sudden burst of bravery, he flung the door open to reveal!..............what looked like the usual mess to me.  Then he pointed to the tiny pieces of what had been a perfectly usable eraser moments before and said, "I made it into thin pieces...with my teeth."
*All in one day, Ian:  drew on a cabinet with a crayon, purposely peed in the litter box located next to the toilet, and dumped the pieces to all the puzzles all over his room.  I did manage to catch him just as he was starting to use a 5 pound bag of flour for a hay-bale.
*I sent Ian to his room, and he was mad about this, so he grabbed one of his shoes on his way.  He threw it at me, and it went through the open bathroom door and landed right in the middle of the open toilet.  SWEET JUSTICE Er, bless his little heart.

Memorable David moments:
*We had been having some luck putting David on the potty as soon as he woke up.  One morning I tried this, but after 2 stories and no pee-pees I brought him back to his room.  While I was getting his clothes ready, he went and stood in his closet and pulled the door closed...and peed all over the floor.
*David liked to do whatever he saw his big brother do.  One day Ian put too much food in his mouth, which made him gag, so he threw up in the kitchen garbage can.  Then, for a while, every time David came into the kitchen, he would cough, run over to the garbage can, open the lid, stick his head in, and cough some more.
*We were driving home from church, and Ian wanted to stop and get a treat.  I reminded him of a bag of candy we had gotten "for his brother" (for his birthday) the day before.  A split second later, David said, "OH!", and I could see the little wheels in his head turning as he figured out the HE was Ian's brother, so he must have some candies at home!
*David got stuck in a toy bag and immediately started to shriek, his usual response to anything that frustrated him.  The he stopped, and I heard a little voice coming out of the bag saying, "I stuck, Mama."

3 comments:

josefinalouise said...

Oh dear, the days of little ones prowling the house! They are so, so cute, but oh my...the responsibility of keeping them under some kind of CONTROL!

lifeofadoctorswife said...

Those memorable moments are HILARIOUS! What funny, sweet little boys you have.

Laura Diniwilk said...

These are so cute! Except for all of the peeing...seriously, what is it with boys and the peeing???